Saturday, March 7, 2009

Moral Indignation

I read today that President Obama has intimated he would talk to the Taliban. Somehow the words "Neville Chamberlain" popped into my head. (oh no! I sound like McCain!) The Taliban for me are like the Nazis. They treat women like animals and insist on ignorance and fear as the foundation of their society and governance. It seems inconceivable that a compromise can be made that allows them to rule. I will try to keep an open mind but I am quite disturbed by this development.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/us/politics/08obama.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/weekinreview/08COOPER.html?_r=1&hp

I also was offered two tickets to see Das Rheingold this week at the LA Opera. I used to go to the opera all the time and am toying with the idea of taking the tickets. I am not a big fan of Wagner's music (I recall squirming through Tristan and Isolde) but I had not considered other reasons not to see the opera until my husband refused to go based on ideological objections to Wagner's anti-semitism. So what to do? I am honestly more worried about sitting for almost 3 hours without an intermission than I am about making a politically incorrect statement. If Daniel Barenboim can consider conducting Wagner, I can go see him. But to sit trapped in a long row of people and not have access to the bathroom for 3 hours??? Let's keep our priorities straight!

No comments: