Friday, September 9, 2011

Sedona on the Rocks

We have been to Sedona many times in the past ten years.  Last week, over Labor Day weekend, was the first time we went in the summer.  And it was so hot! 110 degrees or so every day we were there.  As a result, my plans to do a tour and some hiking were dashed.  Instead we drove around in an air conditioned car and got out in the heat for short periods of time to take pictures.

On route 179  on the way into Sedona from Interstate 17, there is a visitor center for the Red Rock region, which is part of the National Park system.  We stopped to take some pictures, pick up a Red Rock pass and otherwise look around (i.e. shop for trinkets for grandchildren and me).  This year, I remembered my annual N.P. pass which allows me to get the Red Rock pass for free.  I was looking for it in my purse to show the woman at the desk and she asked me if I had the Senior Pass.  I laughed and said, no, I hoped I did not look like I was 62 already.  Then, when I asked her for the map with the rocks she said that was the "Disneyland" map and I really should take the hiking trail map instead.  Apparently being in an air-conditioned building all day made this woman, who was significantly older than I am, delusional about what is appropriate behavior in 110 degree weather.  I took my "Disneyland" map and left to take photos of the rocks, like any good Mickey Mouse tourist.

Three of the rocks shown below are spiritual vortices in Sedona, and reportedly have special energy.  They are Bell Rock,  Cathedral Rock and Kachina Woman.  The fourth vortex, Airport Mesa, is not really a rock  and thus not as photogenic as these other places.

These rocks are named based on what they resemble.  I have followed local conventions as much as possible although sometimes Thunder Mountain is also called Capital Butte, Two Sisters is also known as Twin Nuns and Coffee Pot Rock, from another angle, is called Eagle Rock.  The red color of the rock comes from a mixture of ferrous oxide with sandstone.

I also include a picture of the Chapel of the Holy Cross which is not a rock per se but is viewed in the same light and even deemed by some to be a vortex.  I must agree that it has a special aura when you go inside.

Kachina Woman (Boynton Canyon)

Two Sisters

From left- Chimney Rock, Thunder Mountain, Coffee Pot Rock

Courthouse Butte

Coffee Pot Rock

Madonna and Child

Bell Rock

Cathedral Rock (from Schnebly Hill Road

Chapel of the Holy Cross

No comments: