Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Last year on this day, I warned my young'un not to drink and drive. She did not heed by warning and got a dui. They hauled her off to an unsavory jail and I got a call at 6 a.m. from her. We left her there until the afternoon to sober up. She lost her driver's license and thankfully no one got hurt from her driving while intoxicated. She moved to SF where there is better public transportation and after working for several months decided to go back to school.

This year, we are going to SF to take the young'un and her new beau to see Paul Farmer speak at CJA, an event where I got as drunk as I have ever been two years ago. I do not plan to drink tonight. I typically do not drink. I expect the young'un will, though, as she continues to figure out what her healthy relationship with alcohol should be. Right now she still flirts with it and sometimes yields to it. But that is her issue just like her new relationship with the "fella".

I am not fond of holidays that glamorize drinking. We have many of them in this beach town where I live- New Years, Cinqo de Mayo, 4th of July, Labor Day to mention a few in addition to today. So I am glad we are off to see Paul Farmer who I hope will inspire and entertain. I feel so cosmopolitan jumping on an airplane to go to a dinner!

No comments: