Saturday, August 29, 2009

FIRE!

As many of you know, Los Angeles is on fire again.  Our fire season is typically in the fall and started earlier this year.  It has hardly rained at all in the past 12 months.  I actually cannot remember as dry a year in the almost 35 years I have lived here.  So the mountains are dry tinder just itching to go up in smoke.  Fuel that with Santa Ana conditions-- dry air, heat and offshore winds--you get the recipe for disaster.

I live near the beach so I have been blessed with not having the fires ever come close  to my house because there are no hills with vegetation near me.  The closest we have come is fires on the Palos Verdes Peninsula which is about 5 miles from my home.  On Thursday there was a substantial fire there and I could hear the fire engines heading up the hill to lend a hand.  Luckily that fire was contained in a day.  However the fires to the east of downtown near La Canada/Flintridge (the "Station" fire- like hurricanes and tropical storms, fires have names) have gotten worse in the past few days.  Here are some pictures of those fires taken by various friends (Mark W., Wayne S. and Ashley A.) and posted on FB.  Some really amazing shots.










No comments: