Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving Thanks

Today is the 27th anniversary of my mother's death. (In my best Debbie Downer voice, "wanh, wanh")  It is also Thanksgiving.  My mom had a massive stroke on Thanksgiving in 1982, which that year fell on November 25.  She passed away the next day.  For years I found Thanksgiving a difficult holiday but time does cause the pain of loss to dissipate.

In the past 27 years I have so much for which to be thankful.  I have a wonderful husband, two great children,  fantastic in-laws (daughter-in-law and mother-in-law) and most heart tuggingly, two wonderful grandchildren.  We live in a nice and safe community where the weather is lovely most of the time.  Today, for example, it is in the 70s, sunny and clear.  The beach was exceptionally pretty this morning with clear views of Palos Verdes and Catalina.

I am grateful to have my health.  I had a small scare about skin cancer in the past few weeks but learned yesterday that the mole I feared was harmless.  I also now know that I do have a few moles of concern which I have to watch but so far nothing that requires any other action but vigilance.

I am thankful for my friends and particularly for my friend Ann who continues to beat the odds of her life threatening cancer.

My work is stimulating and cutting edge in its own peculiar way.  Although I, like everyone else, complains about work and the work environment, particularly that of a large corporation, what I do on a day to day basis is about as good as it gets for work.  And I get paid pretty well for doing what I like.  Not too shabby.  (Please do not hold this against me, perfect masters, when I ask for a pay raise in the future since we all know I am paid below market value for what I do! :) )

I am grateful to be able to read and write as much as I do now that my children have grown up.  I am also grateful to be able to walk on the beach regularly which invigorates my body and my soul.

I am sure there are many more things for which I should be thankful.  But Chef William needs my help with the turkey and as usual we are missing some necessary ingredients so a trip to the store is required.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

No comments: